Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lunar Eclipse Photos

I stepped outside last night around 2am to have a look at the eclipse. It was cold out in Muskoka last night: -16! I've seen lunar eclipses before but this one was special since it fell on the same day as the winter solstice. There is a strange feeling that comes along with the moon, especially when it's full, don't you think?

the beginning of the eclipse


halfway there...


We were lucky to have a clear night in Muskoka!

I went inside to warm up for a bit and came back out around 2.45am to a red moon. I wish I had a better camera...the moon looked like it was popping out of the sky.

A bit blurry, but very dark red around 3am
On a stewardship side note, here are some links I thought you might find interesting:
Did anyone see any shooting stars?
Did you get some photos or videos?
Send them to me and I'll post them to the blog!

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos Rebecca -- is this a fancy camera? What a perfect night in Muskoka for this unique event -- cold and clear. I am so glad you got some photos. Despite my best intentions to stay awake and experience it myself, I slept through it!! So am very pleased to live it vicariously through your spectacular pics! Happy solstice season to you and everyone at MHF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent photos Rebecca thanks for sharing them with us and entering our contest on the Algonquin Outfitters Facebook page.
    http://www.lolewomen.com/ca/en/hjl-32-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! The camera is a Nikon Coolpix P90. Nothing too fancy, but it did the trick. It was neat to see how spherical the moon looked last night- a fun experience for sure. Thanks for checking out the blog and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete