- Non-maple species including hemlock, beech and ash which interfere with the growth of maple crop trees.
- Over-mature trees
- Diseased, dying and defective trees
- Trees producing sap with a sugar content of less than 1%
But remember, it is good practice to maintain species diversity to accommodate other values including aesthetics, wildlife and bio-diversity.
- Atkinson Maple Syrup Supplies has some helpful info sheets on various topics.
- Managing Maple Trees for Sap Production: resources from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs.
- FAQs about maple syrup production from OMAFRA